Roasted parsnip and parmesan soup
- April 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 40 minutes to make and 30-35 minutes to roast
This deliciously sweet and creamy roasted parsnip soup is an ideal lunch or starter recipe. The addition of parmesan gives it deeper flavour.
Got some leftover parsnips? Give our parsnip crisps recipe a whirl.
- 24.1g (11.7g saturated)
- 27.7g (9.5g sugars)
- 750g medium-large parsnips
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g parmesan or grana padano, grated
- 50g butter
- 200g shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1.5 litres hot chicken stock
- 4 tbsp double cream, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 40g bag parsnip crisps, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°c/fan 180°c/gas 6. Cut the parsnips in half lengthways. Drop into a pan of boiling salted water, bring back to the boil and cook for 3 minutes, then drain.
- Put the parsnips into a roasting tin and toss with the olive oil. Arrange flat-side up and sprinkle with a little of the cheese. Roast for 30-35 minutes, until light golden. Remove and cut into chunky pieces.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the shallots and cook gently for 10 minutes, until soft. Stir in the flour, then gradually add the stock and the parsnips. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Using a hand-held blender, blend until smooth, or transfer to a food processor, in batches, and whizz until smooth.
- Shortly before you’re ready to serve, return the soup to a pan and bring back to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes or until hot, then stir in the double cream, the rest of the cheese and season to taste.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with another swirl of cream, snipped fresh chives and a few parsnip crisps.
To freeze this recipe, freeze at the end of step 3 for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly, then reheat gently to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...