Roasted pepper and meatball pasta bake
- April 2011
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
This meatball bake is the perfect Friday night meal. Warm, hearty and unctuous, just what you need after a hard week at work.
- 160g penne or small rigatoni pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 mini beef meatballs
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100ml red wine
- 400g tin cherry tomatoes
- ½ x 290g jar Saclà Peperonata Antipasto
- 60g fresh mozzarella, torn into 10-12 pieces
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan until hot, then fry the meatballs for 4-5 minutes over a medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside. 3. Reduce the heat to low and fry the garlic for 1 minute. Pour in the red wine, bubble for 1 minute, then add the tinned tomatoes and 50ml water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes until reduced and thickened. Season to taste, adding a little sugar if necessary.
- Stir through the peperonata. Mix in the drained, cooked pasta and the meatballs, then transfer to a small ovenproof baking dish.
- Scatter over the mozzarella and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until bubbling. Scatter with basil leaves, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian bake recipes
Roasted red pepper, spinach and goat’s cheese pasta bake
This vegetarian pasta bake uses grilled red peppers for their naturally intense sweetness. Combined with...