Root vegetable crisps
- January 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 20-30 mins
These homemade vegetable crisps are the perfect snack with a warm drink and are cheaper and healthier than shop-bought alternatives. Try them with our whisky Aperol hot toddy.
Or, for another crisp and cocktail combination, how about these parmesan and thyme crisps with a Campari and tomato cooler?
- 7.2g (0.9g saturated)
- 17.2g (11.6 sugars)
For the vegetable crisps
- 150g carrots
- 100g each parsnips, raw beetroot and sweet potato
- Splash of olive oil
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Zest 2 limes
You’ll also need
- Mandoline or vegetable peeler
- 2 large baking sheets lined with compostable baking paper
- Peel and slice the veg as thinly as you can with a mandoline or veg peeler – the thinner the better. Put each type of vegetable in its own bowl to keep them separate. Add a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt to each bowl and stir gently to coat.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Arrange the vegetable slices in a single layer separately on the prepared sheets – they’ll cook at different rates, so you’ll need to do this in batches. Bake for 20 minutes, checking halfway through. Turn those that are starting to brown, then continue to bake until the crisps are lightly golden and crispy – take out those that cook more quickly as you go, then add a new batch to the oven. Once the crisps are cooked, cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the fennel seeds in a small dry pan for 2 minutes or until they start to brown. Cool, then grind in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder. Combine with the salt and lime zest. Transfer the cooled crisps to a large bowl, sprinkle over fennel salt to taste, then toss gently to combine. Serve with our whisky Aperol hot toddy, if you fancy.
Make the crisps up to 3 days ahead and store in a sealed container. Re-crisp in a medium oven for 5 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter