Salmon and asparagus quiche
- May 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 min to make, 45 min to cook, plus chilling
Looking for a summery salmon centrepiece? Make the most of in season asparagus with this delicious quiche recipe. If you like, you can make the tart vegetarian by replacing the salmon with feta.
- 42.9g (16.8 saturated)
- 34.2g (3.6g sugar)
- 375g ready-rolled short crust pastry
- Flour for dusting
- Knob of butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 skinless salmon fillets
- Bunch of asparagus
- 100ml double cream
- 200ml half-fat crème fraîche
- 2 free-range eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Handful of fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Roll out the pastry a little more on a lightly floured surface to fit a rectangular fluted 31cm x 21cm tart tin. Line the tin with the pastry and prick the base all over with a fork. Chill for 15 minutes in the fridge. Line with baking paper and baking beans or rice, then blind-bake for 10 minutes. Remove the beans/rice and paper, then return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until golden brown. Set aside and turn the oven down to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan, then gently fry the onion for 10 minutes until lightly golden. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan over a medium heat, then fry the salmon fillets for 2-3 minutes on each side until just cooked. Set aside to cool a little, then flake into pieces.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain and refresh in cold water. Set aside.
- Whisk the cream, crème fraîche, eggs and egg yolk in a jug. Season well and whisk in the mustard. Scatter the onion and fish over the tart case, along with the tarragon, then pour over the cream mixture.
- Lay the asparagus spears down the length of the tart case so they are partially submerged in the cream mixture, then bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until just set.
Make it veggie: Leave out the salmon (skip step 3), crumble 200g feta over the onion in step 5, then continue as in the recipe.
Rate & review