Salmon and root vegetable traybake with quick coriander pesto
- October 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 35-45 min
A spicy, zingy feast of salmon and root vegetables that’s satisfyingly light on the wallet.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 27.7g (4.3g saturated)
- 7.4g (6.4g sugars)
- 300g celeriac, peeled and chopped into 1cm pieces
- 3 carrots, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 1 beetroot, peeled and chopped into 1cm pieces (use rubber gloves to prevent your hands staining)
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 20g roasted peanuts
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 4 frozen sustainable salmon fillets (about 360g in total)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put the celeriac, carrots and beetroot on a large baking tray, drizzle with a little oil, sprinkle over some salt and pepper and toss together. Roast for 15-20 minutes until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, make the coriander pesto. Put the coriander, chilli, peanuts and half the lime zest and juice in a mini chopper, then whizz to a smooth paste. Gradually drizzle in the 3 tbsp oil to form a coarse pesto. Season to taste with salt, pepper and extra lime juice and zest as you see fit.
- Once the vegetables have softened, lay the frozen salmon fillets over the top (skinless side up if they have skins). Spread a spoonful of pesto over the top of each salmon fillet and squeeze over any remaining lime juice. Return to the oven for 20-25 minutes until the salmon is just cooked through. Drizzle over the remaining pesto and serve with extra lime wedges.
Frozen fish makes a great substitute for fresh if you’re trying to keep the cost down. Fish that’s frozen either at sea or not long after being caught can often be as good as fresh.
Always buy your fish from sustainable sources – look for the blue and white Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) logo.
Salmon fillets can be roasted straight from frozen.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
March seasonal recipes
Tray-roast salmon and vegetables with crème fraîche and crumbs
Midweek dinner couldn’t be any easier than combining breadcrumb-coated salmon fillets with slice potatoes, broccoli...