Salmon and spinach rösti bake
- July 2005
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 30 min
The creamy salmon and spinach under the crunchy grated potato is a guaranteed crowd pleaser whether it’s for a midweek meal or a laid-back dinner party with friends.
- 40.6g (18.3g saturated)
- 14.4g (2.7g sugars)
- 2 medium waxy potatoes, such as Nadine or Desirée, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 225g bag baby leaf spinach
- 600g (about 4) salmon fillets, skinned, boned and halved lengthways
- 284ml carton double cream
- Finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- Good handful of chopped fresh dill or parsley
- Par-boil the potatoes for 8 minutes, then drain and set aside to cool. Dry the pan, return to a medium heat and add the oil. Add the onion and cook for 7 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then add the spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted down. Tip into a deep, 1.3-litre baking dish and spread the mixture across the base.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Place the salmon strips neatly in 1 layer across the spinach mixture. In a bowl, mix the cream, lemon zest and dill or parsley and season well. Pour all over the salmon, spinach and onion base.
- Remove the peel from the potatoes with your fingers, and coarsely grate the potatoes directly onto the creamy salmon in a craggy layer. Drizzle with a little olive oil, season to taste and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until it’s bubbling and the potato is deep golden and crispy. Serve with steamed mangetout or fine green beans.
If you eat at different times in the evening, make portions that can be baked when needed – especially for children. Freeze any leftovers for up to 3 months.
You can prepare the bake and freeze the whole thing, uncooked, for up to 3 months.
Chilean Chardonnay will give the ripeness needed to stand up to these fairly rich flavours.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...