Sausage, sage and apple stuffing
- December 2021
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus 30-35 min oven time
Gill Meller’s sausage and apple stuffing is an ideal companion for turkey. This decadent stuffing is made with sausagemeat, chicken livers and bay.
Choose the best way to flavour your bird with our collection of 20+ Christmas turkey recipes.
- 12.9g (5.2g saturated)
- 10.6g (3.8g sugars)
- 1 knob unsalted butter
- 1 large or 2 smaller onions finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 eating apple peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
- 1 fresh turkey liver or 150g very fresh chicken livers, trimmed
- 500g good quality sausagemeat
- Handful fresh white breadcrumbs (about 1 slice)
- Good pinch ground mace
- Good pinch cayenne pepper
- Large handful fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- Small bunch thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- Finely grated zest ½ lemon
- Small glass brandy (about 100ml) )
You’ll also need
- 30-32cm loaf or terrine tin
- Set a large pan over a medium heat. Add the butter and, when it’s bubbling, add the onion(s) and garlic. Cook gently, stirring regularly, until the onions are soft and sweet, then add the apple and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the pan and allow to cool.
- Put the liver(s) on a clean board and chop fairly finely using a large knife. In a large bowl mix the sausagemeat with the chopped liver, the cooled onions and apple and the breadcrumbs, as well as the spices, herbs, lemon zest and some salt and pepper – not forgetting the brandy! Mix well so everything’s combined.
- Heat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6. Fill the tin and smooth the top (don’t press down too much), then bake for 30-35 minutes until cooked through.
Prepare the stuffing in its tin (uncooked, so make sure the livers are very fresh), wrap well and chill for up to a day or freeze for up to a month. Defrost in the fridge overnight before cooking. Leftover cooked stuffing will keep in the fridge for 1-2 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Turkey with sausage, pancetta and apricot stuffing
Impress your guests this Christmas with this flavourful turkey recipe, made with a sausage, pancetta...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...