Savoury cheese pudding
- January 2014
- 30g butter, softened
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs, from a good quality loaf
- 3 large free-range eggs, separated
- 300ml whole milk
- ½ tsp English mustard
- 115g mature cheddar, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a 1.2 litre soufflé dish or other deep, round baking dish with a little of the butter, then dust with 1 tbsp breadcrumbs.
- Put the whites into one large, spotlessly clean mixing bowl and the yolks into another.
- Warm the milk, mustard and the rest of the butter in a pan over a low heat, but don’t let it get too hot.
- Lightly beat the yolks, then stir in the warm milky mixture, the rest of the breadcrumbs and 100g of the grated cheese. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the breadcrumbs to swell a little. Season to taste with plenty of salt and black pepper.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then fold into the cheesy mixture. Pour into the baking dish, sprinkle with the rest of the grated cheese, then bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Cover it after about 20 minutes with a loose sheet of foil once it has browned nicely. It’s ready when it’s puffed up, golden and just set in the centre. Take it immediately to the table and serve while still puffed up.
It can be served with mash and peas or with a simply dressed green salad on the side.
Rate & review