Green french toast with honey drizzle
- August 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20-25 min
“This french toast is attractively flecked with green herbs and spring onions for an aromatic savoury flavour. The honey adds sweetness and is more subtle than the usual maple syrup.”
If you like the look of this, you’ll love panettone french toast with maple syrup, mascarpone and walnuts.
This recipe is from The Greek Vegetarian Cookbook by Heather Thomas.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 10.1g (2.4g saturated)
- 30.7g (13.9g sugars)
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 90ml whole milk
- Handful each fresh flatleaf parsley and dill, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 medium slices Greek sesame bread or crusty white bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Ground cinnamon for dusting
- Honey for drizzling (Greek thyme honey if you can)
- Greek yogurt to serve
- Beat together to eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Stir in the chopped herbs and spring onions. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Soak one or two slices of bread (depending on the size of your pan) in the beaten egg mixture for 2-3 minutes, turning the bread over to cover both sides. Don’t leave it too long or it will get soggy and fall apart.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a low-medium heat. When hot, add the soaked bread, 1-2 slices at a time, and cook for 2-3 minutes until crisp and golden brown underneath. Turn over and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Keep warm while you cook the remaining bread.
- Serve the toast lightly dusted with cinnamon and drizzled with honey, with a large spoonful of yogurt alongside.
These recipes are from The Greek Vegetarian Cookbook by Heather Thomas (Phaidon £24.95). To save 20%, enter the code GVC20 when ordering at phaidon.com
Next time, add some chopped basil, thyme or mint. Serve with griddled tomatoes on the vine.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chocolate-filled French toast
If you really want to treat your family, make them fingers of French toast sandwiched...