Seared Asian beef fillet with crunchy pomelo salad
- June 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 40 min
This is a really simple salad that pairs seared beef fillet with crunchy veggies, citrusy pomelo and a zingy Asian-style dressing.
- 16.7g (5.2g saturated)
- 6.7g (5.3g sugars)
- 800g British beef fillet
- Olive oil for brushing
For the dressing
- Finely grated zest and juice 2-3 limes
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Pinch brown sugar
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
For the salad
- Large handful beansprouts
- 200g sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
- 150g radishes, roughly chopped
- ½ cucumber, deseeded and sliced
- 1 pomelo, segmented and chopped, juice reserved (see Know-how)
- 1-2 red chillies, chopped
- 4 tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1½ tbsp sesame seeds
- Fresh coriander, mint and Thai basil to serve
Useful but not essential…
- Digital probe thermometer
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Brush the beef with oil and season well. Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over a high heat, then sear the beef all over for 2-3 minutes to brown.
- Brush the beef with the dressing, then roast for about 15 minutes for rare (or 45-50°C on a digital thermometer) or 20-25 minutes for medium or medium to well done (55-60°C), basting with cooking juices and a little dressing every 10 minutes or so. Rest the beef in the pan for 15 minutes while you make the salad.
- Soak the beansprouts in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain. Toss the sprouts with the remaining salad ingredients, the reserved pomelo juice and the rest of the dressing in a large bowl, then transfer to a platter. Slice the beef, drizzle with any resting juices and serve with the salad.
Pomelos are large citrus fruit with a green skin. If you can’t find any use pink grapefruit and add a little more sugar to the dressing.
Aussie riesling or juicy New Zealand pinot noir.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Midweek meal recipes
Vietnamese herb salad with tamarind and honey glazed beef
Juicy tamarind and honey glazed steak, crunchy vegetables, roasted peanuts and a bounty of fresh...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...