Sesame-crusted halloumi with Mediterranean veg
- August 2011
- Serves 2
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
Shortcut ingredients make this Mediterranean-inspired vegetarian meal an absolute cinch to make. The sesame-crusted halloumi on top is the star attraction.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 400g pack Waitrose Ready to Roast Mediterranean Vegetable Selection (red onion, peppers, courgettes, cherry tomatoes and rosemary) or similar
- Small bunch of fresh basil
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (we like Waitrose Wholesome Sesame Seeds)
- 120g halloumi, sliced (we like Cypressa, from Waitrose)
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tbsp caperberries (we like Waitrose Spanish Caperberries), drained and rinsed
- Handful of Greek olives
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Tumble the vegetables into a shallow roasting tray with a handful of the basil leaves, the garlic and some seasoning. Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes until tender, turning halfway through.
- Scatter the sesame seeds over a small plate and press both sides of the halloumi slices into the sesame seeds so that they stick. Heat the groundnut oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat, add the halloumi and fry on each side for 1 minute until golden.
- Stir the caperberries, olives, lemon zest and the remaining basil leaves through the roasted vegetables. Top with the halloumi and any escaped seeds, then serve with lemon wedges.
Try serving the veg with pan-fried seabass fillets instead of the sesame-crusted halloumi
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas starter recipes
Herbed lentil and beetroot ‘couscous’ with halloumi
This colourful and herby vegetarian dish is healthy, filling and tastes great too. The beetroot...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...