Shechamandy (walnut soup) with mushrooms
- September 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 15-20 min
“There are plenty of great meaty soups in Georgia. This one however is always vegetarian. Walnuts give it body and the combination of herbs makes your head spin. It’s the best dish to introduce autumn without fully abandoning summer.” – Olia Hercules.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29.8g (3.9g saturated)
- 12g (7.4g sugars)
- 2 onions
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves, stalks reserved
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves, stalks reserved
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill fronds, stalks reserved
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves, stalks reserved
- Knob of butter
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 250g mixed wild mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fine cornmeal or polenta
- 150g walnuts, finely chopped
- Peel and coarsely chop the onions and put them, including the peel and outer layers, into a large pan (the peel will give the stock a deep brown colour). Add the carrot and celery to the pan. Cut the herb stalks roughly and add to the pan. Cover everything with cold water (about 1.2 litres), season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and a splash of oil in a large frying pan and cook the mushrooms until starting to colour slightly. Add the garlic, chilli and cornmeal, then cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the walnuts and mix together. Strain the vegetable stock (discard the vegetables and herb stalks), pour it back in the pan, add the mushroom mixture, then cook for about 10 minutes. Serve with the chopped herbs scattered on top.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Celeriac and apple soup with girolle mushrooms and cheesy toasts
This autumnal soup recipe uses seasonal ingredients such as celeriac, apple and mushrooms to make...