Slow-cooked chicken puttanesca
- November 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, plus 1 hour 15 min oven time
Cook chicken puttanesca low and slow for an easy dinner with bold flavours. Batch cook and freeze ahead, or simmer in the slow cooker.
For a similar flavour hit, try our puttanesca pasta bake.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 25g (4.7g saturated)
- 16.1g (9.5g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 120g pitted black olives
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2 tsp capers, rinsed
- 8 skin-on, bone-in free-range chicken thighs
- Small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- Creamy mashed potatoes or cheesy polenta to serve
- Heat the oven to 150°C fan/gas 3½. To make the puttanesca sauce, heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a hob-safe casserole (with a lid). Add the onion and a pinch of salt, then fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, chilli flakes and oregano, then fry for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, olives, anchovies and capers. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, then season. Keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Season the chicken skin with salt and fry skin-side down for 5-7 minutes over a medium-high heat or until golden brown and crisp. Nestle the chicken skin-side up into the puttanesca sauce in the casserole. Put the lid on or cover tightly with foil, cook in the oven for 1 hour, then remove the lid/foil and cook for 15 minutes to reduce the sauce. Scatter with chopped parsley and serve with creamy mashed potatoes or cheesy polenta.
Cook the recipe, then strip the chicken from the bones and freeze in portions, covered with the sauce (or use boneless thighs).
To make in a slow cooker, cook for 6 hours on low. Use 1 tin of tomatoes so there’s less liquid.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy chicken recipes
Lemon and garlic chicken schnitzels with quick puttanesca sauce
Crispy chicken schnitzel is served with an intense (and quick-to-make) puttanesca tomato sauce in this...