Smoked bacon, leek and butter bean chowder
- April 2016
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 45 min
Crusty bread is essential when tucking in to Debbie Major’s hearty chowder recipe made using Jersey milk, smoked bacon, butter beans and leeks.
- 19.4g (10.4g saturated)
- 20.2g (7.6g sugars)
- 50g butter
- 350g leeks, thickly sliced
- 200g British free-range smoked bacon lardons/strips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 litre Jersey, Guernsey or full-cream milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 50g plain flour
- 200ml good quality chicken stock
- 2 x 400g cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 100ml single or double cream
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Melt half the butter in a large pan. Add the sliced leeks, stir well to coat with butter and season lightly. Cover and cook gently for 3 minutes until just tender and still bright green. Tip the leeks into a bowl and set aside.
- Return the pan to a medium heat, add the bacon lardons and oil, then fry gently until the lardons have released some of their fat. Increase the heat to high and fry a little more briskly until lightly golden. Add the rest of the butter and the onion to the pan, cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes until the onion is soft but not browned. Meanwhile, gently heat the milk and bay leaves together in a separate pan.
- Stir the flour into the bacon and onions, then cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the stock, then stir in the warm milk and bring almost to the boil. Add the butter beans and season to taste, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves, stir in the leeks and cream, then bring back to a simmer. Stir in the parsley and season to taste. Serve in bowls with fresh homemade bread.
The chowder will keep in a sealed container for up to 48 hours in the fridge or up to a month in the freezer. Defrost, then heat gently to warm through. Sprinkle with fresh parsley to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoked haddock and sweetcorn chowder
A quick and easy chowder recipe that only costs £4.96 to make for four hungry...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...