Smoked haddock with mussels, bacon and cannellini beans
- January 2015
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 40 minutes
This smoked haddock with mussels, bacon and cannellini beans recipe would make a sophisticated yet simple dinner party dish.
- 19.9g (8.7g saturated)
- 25.6g (6.2g sugars)
Based on 6
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 6 rashers British free-range smoked streaky bacon
- 2 x 400g tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 500g sustainably sourced smoked haddock fillets
- 1 bay leaf
- About 400ml whole milk
- 250ml good-quality fresh fish stock or vegetable stock
- 1kg fresh mussels (see Know-how)
- Handful chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and gently fry the onions for 10 minutes or until softened. Add the bacon and fry for 5 minutes, then add the beans and heat for 5 minutes.
- Put the haddock in a pan with the bay leaf, pour over enough milk to cover, then bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes or until just cooked. Remove the fish using a slotted spoon, then flake into chunks, discarding any skin or bones.
- Add the flaked fish and 2 ladlefuls of the poaching milk to the beans. Discard the rest of the milk or freeze to use in fish pies or fish soups.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan. Add the prepared mussels and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 3 minutes, shaking the pan every now and then, or until all the mussels have opened – discard any that don’t.
- Add the mussels and stock to the beans. Taste and season, then stir through the parsley to serve.
To prepare mussels, rinse under cold running water, then pull away any threadlike ‘beards’. Check the mussels are alive by tapping them on the sink or worktop. They should all close – discard any that don’t do so.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Souffléd smoked haddock tart in oatmeal pastry
This smoked haddock tart is a bit like a cross between a traditional quiche and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...