Smoky bacon and tomato soup
- May 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 20 min
This slightly smoky tomato soup is served with crispy bacon, a dollop of creamy mascarpone and basil leaves making it a comforting and nourishing bowlful.
Opt for a meat-free alternative with this beetroot, apple, horseradish and dumpling-topped soup.
- 13.9g (5.2g saturated)
- 18.9g (17.8g sugars)
- Glug of olive oil
- 150g bacon lardons
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped celery stick
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 3 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ bunch of fresh basil
- 2 tsp sugar or agave nectar (optional)
- 2 tbsp mascarpone
- Dollop of mascarpone
- Basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the bacon lardons and fry, stirring, for 8-10 minutes until crisp. Transfer half the lardons to a plate, then add the onion to the saucepan. Fry for 5 minutes, then add the celery, garlic and 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika.
- Fry for a few minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, basil and sugar or agave nectar. Bring to a simmer, then cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the mascarpone, then whizz with a stick blender (or in a blender) to a thick but smooth soup. Season to taste (add a little water if it’s too thick). Serve with the reserved bacon, a dollop of mascarpone and a few basil leaves.
For vegetarians, leave out the Worcestershire sauce and bacon and add 1 tsp soy sauce and half a tin of butter beans.
Freeze in batches in labelled food bags for up to 3 months – but prepare the bacon garnish just before serving. Defrost fully and reheat until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beetroot, apple and horseradish soup with herb dumplings
Earthy beetroot, sweet apple and firey horseradish make this dumpling-topped vegetarian soup recipe a great...