Smoky chipotle tofu with tomatoes and avocado
- June 2022
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 15 min. Simmering time 7-8 min
Pair warm, intensely smoky, chipotle tofu with soothing smashed avocado. This vegan combo is incredible on toast or in breakfast tacos.
Recipe from Meat-free Mexican by Thomasina Miers (Hodder & Stoughton £25)
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 25g (4.5g saturated)
- 4.8g (3.8g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 225g block smoked firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp chipotles in adobo
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Tacos or toast to serve
For the smashed avocado
- 1 large avocado
- Grated zest and juice 1 lime
Optional avocado flavourings
- Garlic cloves
- Chilli oil or Korean chilli flakes
- Chopped coriander, chervil, tarragon, basil or dill
- Drizzle of tahini
- For the smashed avocado, cut the avocado in half and discard the stone. Mash the garlic, if using, with ½ tsp salt using a knife or pestle and mortar. Mash with the avocado, then add the lime zest and juice (and, if using, the chilli oil/flakes, herbs and tahini). Season to taste.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat and, when hot, add the olive oil, then the tofu. Fry for a few minutes until crisp, then add the chipotles. Stir-fry for a few minutes, seasoning with the sea salt, then add the spring onions and tomatoes. Turn the heat to medium and cook for 7-8 minutes until the tomatoes begin to break down. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve with the smashed avocado, in tacos or on toast.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On the table and ready to...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...