Smoky chipotle tofu with tomatoes and avocado
- June 2022
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 15 min. Simmering time 7-8 min
Pair warm, intensely smoky, chipotle tofu with soothing smashed avocado. This vegan combo is incredible on toast or in breakfast tacos.
Recipe from Meat-free Mexican by Thomasina Miers (Hodder & Stoughton £25)
- 25g (4.5g saturated)
- 4.8g (3.8g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 225g block smoked firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp chipotles in adobo
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Tacos or toast to serve
For the smashed avocado
- 1 large avocado
- Grated zest and juice 1 lime
Optional avocado flavourings
- Garlic cloves
- Chilli oil or Korean chilli flakes
- Chopped coriander, chervil, tarragon, basil or dill
- Drizzle of tahini
- For the smashed avocado, cut the avocado in half and discard the stone. Mash the garlic, if using, with ½ tsp salt using a knife or pestle and mortar. Mash with the avocado, then add the lime zest and juice (and, if using, the chilli oil/flakes, herbs and tahini). Season to taste.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat and, when hot, add the olive oil, then the tofu. Fry for a few minutes until crisp, then add the chipotles. Stir-fry for a few minutes, seasoning with the sea salt, then add the spring onions and tomatoes. Turn the heat to medium and cook for 7-8 minutes until the tomatoes begin to break down. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve with the smashed avocado, in tacos or on toast.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter