Southern fried chicken
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 20 minutes to cook
Look out for special offers on free-range chicken legs, thighs or drumsticks for this recipe for Southern fried chicken.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 41g (7.8g saturated)
- 40.1g (0.7g sugar)
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- A good grinding of black pepper
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 8 free-range chicken thighs and drumsticks
- Coleslaw, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/ gas 7. Sift the flour into a bowl, add celery salt, black pepper, hot paprika, sweet smoked paprika and English mustard powder. Beat 2 eggs in a separate bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan, until very hot. Dip the chicken thighs and drumsticks in the flour mixture, then in the egg, then in the flour mixture again.
- Fry in batches, until golden brown all over, then bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with coleslaw.
Make a quick coleslaw by combining finely shredded red cabbage, grated carrot and some grated apple. Mix with mayonnaise, a dollop of Dijon mustard and season well.
Rate & review