Southern fried chicken
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 20 minutes to cook
Look out for special offers on free-range chicken legs, thighs or drumsticks for this recipe for Southern fried chicken.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 41g (7.8g saturated)
- 40.1g (0.7g sugar)
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- A good grinding of black pepper
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 8 free-range chicken thighs and drumsticks
- Coleslaw, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/ gas 7. Sift the flour into a bowl, add celery salt, black pepper, hot paprika, sweet smoked paprika and English mustard powder. Beat 2 eggs in a separate bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan, until very hot. Dip the chicken thighs and drumsticks in the flour mixture, then in the egg, then in the flour mixture again.
- Fry in batches, until golden brown all over, then bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with coleslaw.
Make a quick coleslaw by combining finely shredded red cabbage, grated carrot and some grated apple. Mix with mayonnaise, a dollop of Dijon mustard and season well.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Alternative barbecue recipes
Cajun chicken drumsticks with charred pineapple wedges
Coat chicken drumsticks with a simple Cajun spice rub, then grill or barbecue with fresh,...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...