Soy-glazed baby beetroot
- September 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 60 min
Simon Hulstone’s roasted baby beetroot are a cracking side dish for a roast or you could have them in an autumnal salad.
- 5/9g (0.9g saturated)
- 9.8g (8.7g sugars)
- 16 baby beetroot, peeled and halved
- 50ml soy sauce
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, still in its skin
- Olive oil for roasting
- 100g watercress to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Line a baking tray with foil and put in the beetroot. Add the soy sauce, star anise, cloves, thyme sprigs, garlic and a good drizzle of olive oil, then pour in 100ml water and toss the beetroot to coat. Wrap foil over the tin and roast the beetroot for 60 minutes. Test whether the beetroot are tender by poking the tip of a sharp knife into one.
- Remove the beetroot from the tin, setting aside the cooking juices. Put the watercress into a medium bowl and, when ready to serve, dress with the reserved cooking juices from the beetroot. Serve both in bowls for guests to help themselves to.
If you can’t find baby beetroot, use 4 regular size beetroot and cut them into 4cm chunks (wear rubber gloves).
Rate & review