Spaghetti with sardines
- February 2015
- 35g pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500-600g fresh sardines, filleted (see tip)
- 2 shallots
- 45g raisins
- 100ml white balsamic vinegar (Belazu, from large supermarkets), plus extra 100ml white wine
- 20g sugar
- 400g spaghetti
- Handful fresh parsley
- In a dry frying pan, toast the pine nuts over a medium heat until golden, then set aside. Wipe the pan clean and heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Add the sardine fillets, season with salt and pepper and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side, then remove to a large bowl.
- In a clean pan, heat the rest of the oil. Finely slice the shallots, then fry gently for 8-10 minutes until soft. Add the raisins, cook for 2 minutes, then add the pine nuts, vinegar, white wine and sugar. Boil for 15 minutes or until reduced and syrupy. Taste and season, then pour over the sardines.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions, reserving some pasta water.
- Drain and toss the pasta through the sardines, mix well and add a splash of pasta water to loosen – but don’t make it too wet. Taste and season with salt, pepper and more vinegar if necessary. To serve, stir through chopped fresh parsley.
Sardines are bony so ask the fishmonger to debone them. You could use 300g fresh mackerel fillets instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
June seasonal recipes
Sardines on toast with sorrel and horseradish alioli
Elevate sardines on toast with citrussey sorrel and a punchy horseradish aioli in this summery...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...