Speedy prawn noodle soup
- November 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
This gluten-free prawn ramen only takes 15 minutes to make and tastes as vibrant as it looks. You could easily make this your own too by swapping the prawns for shredded chicken or the rice noodles for egg noodles.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 7.7g (2.3g saturated)
- 54.4g (4.5g sugars)
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 10g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 litre good quality fresh chicken stock
- 5 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 180g sustainable raw extra-large king prawns, peeled and deveined
- 225g dried vermicelli rice noodles
- Small bunch spring onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp tinned sweetcorn
- Small handful coriander leaves, chopped
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil, then gently lower in the eggs and cook for 6 minutes for soft-boiled. Drain and run under cold water to stop them cooking more. Carefully peel, then cut in half and set aside. Meanwhile, soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in 100ml boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Put the stock, tamari sauce and five-spice in a large pan. Drain the mushrooms through a fine sieve into the pan, then add the mushrooms (discard any grit in the sieve). Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the prawns and simmer for a further 3 minutes until pink and cooked through.
- Season the stock to taste with freshly ground black pepper or more tamari sauce, if you like.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, then drain and divide among 4 bowls. Pour over the stock and top each bowl with 2 egg halves, some sliced spring onions and the sweetcorn and chopped coriander.
To make this vegan, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock and swap the prawns for tofu.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Prawn noodle stir-fry
Not many suppers are faster than a stir-fry and this prawn noodle recipe scores just...