Spicy bean stew with crispy cauli topping
- February 2020
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 30 min
Fancy something a little lighter for dinner? Our veggie bean stew with a crispy cauliflower topping is low in calories but high in protein and fibre to keep you full.
Bulk it up on hungrier days, too, with a slice of sourdough toast for mopping up the sauce.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 4.3g (0.7g saturated)
- 34g (12.6g sugars)
- ½ cauliflower head, separated into small florets
- A few sprays cooking oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp Mexican spice blend
- 400g tin good-quality chopped tomatoes
- 100ml hot vegetable stock (or chicken stock for non-vegetarians)
- 400g tin mixed beans, drained (260g drained weight)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of half, half cut into wedges to serve
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- Small handful fresh coriander, leaves picked
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Spread the cauliflower florets over the base of a baking tray lined with a reusable non-stick liner. Spray with cooking oil, season well, then roast for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil, garlic and chilli in a saucepan and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the spice blend, then add the tomatoes and stock. Simmer for 10 minutes over a medium heat. Stir in the beans, lemon zest and a squeeze of juice, then warm through for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the beans in 2 warmed bowls, scattered with the crispy cauliflower, plus a dollop of yogurt and the chopped coriander.
Rate & review