Spicy bean stew with crispy cauli topping
- February 2020
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 30 min
Fancy something a little lighter for dinner? Our veggie bean stew with a crispy cauliflower topping is low in calories but high in protein and fibre to keep you full.
Bulk it up on hungrier days, too, with a slice of sourdough toast for mopping up the sauce.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 4.3g (0.7g saturated)
- 34g (12.6g sugars)
- ½ cauliflower head, separated into small florets
- A few sprays cooking oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp Mexican spice blend
- 400g tin good-quality chopped tomatoes
- 100ml hot vegetable stock (or chicken stock for non-vegetarians)
- 400g tin mixed beans, drained (260g drained weight)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of half, half cut into wedges to serve
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- Small handful fresh coriander, leaves picked
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Spread the cauliflower florets over the base of a baking tray lined with a reusable non-stick liner. Spray with cooking oil, season well, then roast for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil, garlic and chilli in a saucepan and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the spice blend, then add the tomatoes and stock. Simmer for 10 minutes over a medium heat. Stir in the beans, lemon zest and a squeeze of juice, then warm through for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the beans in 2 warmed bowls, scattered with the crispy cauliflower, plus a dollop of yogurt and the chopped coriander.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...