Turkey and white bean chilli
- January 2013
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
This hearty white bean turkey chilli is a quick, tasty way of using your leftover Christmas bird. Try it in tortilla wraps with cheese and guacamole.
Or, make it a leftovers double whammy by adding leftover Christmas ham and turkey to this delicious pie.
- 12.8g (2.7g saturated)
- 16.3g (7.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- Good pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- Good squeeze of tomato purée
- 500g leftover turkey, shredded
- 400g tin white beans (such as butter beans or cannellini), drained and rinsed
- Large handful of fresh coriander, torn
- Heat the olive oil in a shallow casserole or large pan over a low heat and fry the onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and chillies, then fry for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the dry spices and cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes and tomato purée. Season well and simmer for 25-30 minutes. If it starts to thicken too much, add a splash of water.
- Add the turkey and beans, then cook for 10 minutes until piping hot. Stir through the fresh coriander and serve with steamed rice.
This is great for a festive packed lunch. Make a half quantity of the tomato sauce (steps 1 and 2), stir through the turkey and beans, then wrap in tortillas with some grated cheese and shredded lettuce. It’s good with guacamole.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter