Spicy pork stew with sweet potatoes and beans
- February 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 minutes, cooking time 1 hour
Make sure you have lots of crusty bread to hand for soaking up every last bit of this spicy, Mediterranean-style pork and bean stew.
Take a look at all our stews, casseroles, pot-roasts and slow-roasts for more hearty winter food.
- 13.9g (3.5g saturated)
- 51.2g (16.4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 700g pork shoulder, cubed
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, cubed (about 600g)
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Large handful of fresh coriander, leaves chopped
- Natural yogurt to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan 130°C/gas 2. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes until soft. Stir in 1 tsp of the cumin and all the oregano, then cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Remove from the casserole and set aside.
- Add the pork and the remaining oil and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes until browned. Stir in the honey, the remaining cumin, cinnamon, garlic and chilli. Season with salt and mix well. Return the onions to the pan and add the tomatoes, stock, sweet potatoes and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then cover and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the beans. Cover and return to the oven for another 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with yogurt on the side, if you like, and crusty bread.
For a vegetarian version, omit the pork and add 1 diced butternut squash with the sweet potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes, then add a 400g can butter beans, drained and rinsed, with the kidney beans and cook
for a further 20 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...