Spicy tomato and chorizo pasta bake
- March 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 20 min
We’ve given your weeknight pasta bake a Spanish makeover by adding spicy chorizo and chilli flakes to make an easy, flavourful dinner.
If you’d prefer something more Italian in style, we can recommend our speedy chorizo carbonara recipe. It’s ready in 20 minutes.
- 17.5g (7.4g saturated)
- 52.9g (7.7g sugars)
See Wine Match
- 150g cooking chorizo, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 200ml red wine
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250g large pasta shells
- Bunch fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 80g cooking mozzarella
You’ll also need…
- 1.5 litre ovenproof dish
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Heat another large pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the chorizo for 2-3 minutes until starting to colour. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil.
- Add the onion to the pan with the chorizo oil and cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and chilli and cook for another minute. Pour in the red wine and bubble for 2-3 minutes until reduced. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the pan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until nearly cooked. Drain and rinse under cold running water, drain again, then return to the pan.
- Stir the chorizo into the sauce with the basil. Taste and season with a little salt and pepper. Stir the sauce into the pasta, then tip the whole lot into a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish. Grate the mozzarella over the top, then bake for 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is golden.
The chorizo and chilli put a spicy Spanish spin on the classic Italian pasta bake.
What's the perfect wine match?
Our friends at Majestic Wine recommend Vina Eguia Crianza. Chorizo and Rioja have always gone happily hand-in-hand. The Eguia’s marriage of cherry, vanilla and sweet oak matches perfectly with chorizo’s sweet paprika-infused spiciness.
Use promo code DELICIOUS to get £10 off your order when you spend £40 or more.£8.99 | Buy Now See all Rioja
Rate & review