Roast butternut squash, kale and orzo soup
- November 2013
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 minutes, oven time 30 minutes
A quick and easy vegetarian butternut squash soup using kale and orzo pasta.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.9g (1.6g saturated)
- 56.7g (10.3g sugars)
- 1kg squash
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Glug olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 200g orzo pasta
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.5 litres fresh vegetable stock
- 200g curly kale, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Parmesan, grated, to serve
- Crusty bread to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Peel, deseed and cut the squash into bite-size pieces. Put in a roasting tin with the rosemary sprigs and chilli, then toss with a glug of olive oil. Season well and roast for 30 minutes until tender and golden.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the orzo pasta. Simmer for 6-7 minutes until tender, then drain and refresh under cold running water.
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion in a little olive oil for 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a further 30 seconds. Pour in the stock, cover and bring to the boil. Add the kale, season well, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the orzo, roasted squash and lemon juice.
- Serve sprinkled with grated parmesan, with a hunk of fresh crusty bread.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Creamy butternut squash and tomato soup
Smooth butternut squash soup is a delicious winter warmer and is suitable for vegetarians too....