Stir-fried brown rice with holy basil sauce
- July 2018
- Serves 1-2
- Hands-on time 20 min
”I used to make the classic Thai stir-fry dish called pad kra prow (ka prow is holy basil) with brown rice on the side, as taught to me by my mum. But I knew there was a dish that combined them in the pan. Stir-frying the rice in the sauce brings an entirely different taste to this dish. I love tossing holy basil into the hot pan at the end, letting the warm, aniseed aromatics fill the kitchen” – Saiphin Moore
This recipe is from Saiphin’s cookbook, Rosa’s Thai Café: The Vegetarian Cookbook.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.9g (0.6g saturated)
- 40.1g (12g sugars)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-3 red or green bird’s eye chillies, finely chopped (to taste)
- 50g onion, finely diced
- 50g carrot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tbsp caster sugar
- 100g cooked brown jasmine rice at room temperature
- 100g cooked white jasmine rice at room temperature
- 25g spring greens, roughly chopped
- 25g spring onion, finely chopped
- 3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Small handful fresh holy basil leaves
- Lime wedges to garnish
- Heat the oil in a wok set over a medium heat. Add the garlic and chillies and stir-fry for about 30 seconds until the garlic is golden brown. Add the onion and carrot and stir-fry for about 2 minutes until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Stir in both soy sauces and the sugar, then toss the rice into the wok and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until all the ingredients are well combined. Finally, add the spring greens, spring onion, tomatoes and holy basil (see tip) and stir-fry for a further minute until the spring greens are cooked through. Serve immediately, garnished with lime wedges.
Holy basil has a peppery flavour and is available from some Asian grocers. If they don’t have it use sweet Thai basil, also available from Ocado and Asda.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ginger, chilli and lime steamed cod with stir-fried red cabbage and coriander rice
This Asian-inspired cod recipe is perfect for a quick and easy midweek dinner. The best...
Sticky pork stir-fry
This sweet and sticky pork stir fry recipe, made with sugar snap peas and pak...