Stir-fried brown rice with holy basil sauce
- July 2018
- Serves 1-2
- Hands-on time 20 min
”I used to make the classic Thai stir-fry dish called pad kra prow (ka prow is holy basil) with brown rice on the side, as taught to me by my mum. But I knew there was a dish that combined them in the pan. Stir-frying the rice in the sauce brings an entirely different taste to this dish. I love tossing holy basil into the hot pan at the end, letting the warm, aniseed aromatics fill the kitchen” – Saiphin Moore
This recipe is from Saiphin’s cookbook, Rosa’s Thai Café: The Vegetarian Cookbook.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.9g (0.6g saturated)
- 40.1g (12g sugars)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-3 red or green bird’s eye chillies, finely chopped (to taste)
- 50g onion, finely diced
- 50g carrot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tbsp caster sugar
- 100g cooked brown jasmine rice at room temperature
- 100g cooked white jasmine rice at room temperature
- 25g spring greens, roughly chopped
- 25g spring onion, finely chopped
- 3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Small handful fresh holy basil leaves
- Lime wedges to garnish
- Heat the oil in a wok set over a medium heat. Add the garlic and chillies and stir-fry for about 30 seconds until the garlic is golden brown. Add the onion and carrot and stir-fry for about 2 minutes until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Stir in both soy sauces and the sugar, then toss the rice into the wok and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until all the ingredients are well combined. Finally, add the spring greens, spring onion, tomatoes and holy basil (see tip) and stir-fry for a further minute until the spring greens are cooked through. Serve immediately, garnished with lime wedges.
Holy basil has a peppery flavour and is available from some Asian grocers. If they don’t have it use sweet Thai basil, also available from Ocado and Asda.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ginger, chilli and lime steamed cod with stir-fried red cabbage and coriander rice
This Asian-inspired cod recipe is perfect for a quick and easy midweek dinner. The best...
Sticky pork stir-fry
This sweet and sticky pork stir fry recipe, made with sugar snap peas and pak...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...