Stir-fried red rice
- February 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40
A healthy vegetarian stir-fried rice recipe inspired by the staple Asian dish.
- 15g (5.1g saturated)
- 44g (3.6g sugars)
- 200g red, brown or other wholegrain rice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil, or ghee (clarified butter)
- Large handful chestnut, button or oyster mushrooms, halved
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- ½ bok choy or large handful spinach, thinly sliced
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 60g raw cashew nuts, toasted in a dry pan until fragrant, to serve
- Large handful fresh Thai basil (or regular basil) to serve
- Rinse the rice and put in a pan with 500ml water. Bring to the boil, turn the heat to low-medium, cover and cook gently for 25-30 minutes. Drain thoroughly, then set aside for 10 minutes, uncovered, to steam dry (see recipe introduction).
- Heat the oil or ghee in a frying pan, then add the mushrooms and vegetables. Stir-fry for 2 minutes (see recipe introduction), season with salt and pepper, then add the rice and fry for another minute. Add the eggs and stir until scrambled. Scatter with cashew nuts and Thai basil, then serve.
This recipe is from Green Kitchen Travels by David Frankiel and Luise Vindahl (£25; Hardie Grant)
David says: “It’s impossible to travel in Asia and not encounter fried rice; it’s on every menu in every country. We make ours with wholegrain rice, which adds chewiness and earthy tones. One of the tricks is to give the vegetables and mushrooms only a quick turn in the pan, so they stay fresh and firm. Another is to make sure the cooked rice is completely dry before you add it to the pan – that way it doesn’t make the dish soggy. Add tofu or tempeh (a tofu-like soy product from Indonesia) for extra protein.””
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
This quick and easy vegetarian salad recipe is a healthy mix of tomato, onion,coriander and...
Healthy salad recipes
Grilled spring onions, cucumber salad with radishes and cottage cheese
This fresh crunchy salad with peppery radishes and cottage cheese is a quick and simple...