Stuffed turkey legs
- December 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 1½ hours to cook, plus cooling
This festive turkey leg recipe is a great alternative to the whole roast turkey.
If you’re not keen on carving, then these boned and stuffed turkey legs are perfect for Christmas Day and they serve a small group with no waste!
- 543 kcal
- 2 turkey legs, boned (ask your butcher to do this if they don’t already come this way)
- Olive oil, for frying
For the stuffing
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 20g butter
- 100g large field mushrooms, diced
- 2 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 small free-range chicken breast, skin removed and chopped
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 70ml double cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- Handful spinach leaves, blanched and chopped
- To make the stuffing, fry the shallot in the butter in a large sauté pan over a medium heat, until lightly coloured. Add the mushrooms and fry until softened. Season, then add the bacon and fry until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Put the chicken in a food processor and purée. Add 1 tbsp egg and the cream and whizz again. Put in a bowl, fold in the tarragon, spinach and mushroom mixture, and season.
- Lay the boned turkey legs between layers of cling film and, using a rolling pin, bash out a little to flatten evenly. Spoon in the stuffing and reshape into a turkey leg, making sure the skin covers the meat. Tie with butcher’s string to secure.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/ gas 5. Heat a large frying pan, add a glug of oil, then add the turkey and cook to colour on all sides. Transfer to a rack in a roasting tin and season.
- Roast for 1¼ hours. Insert a skewer into the middle of a leg – if the juices run clear, it’s cooked. Serve with mashed potato, Brussels sprouts and roasted parsnips.
A rich white – like a decent French Chardonnay – stands up to this. Or go for a juicy, softish red, such as Australian Pinot Noir.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...