Creamy mashed potato with nutmeg
- October 2015
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 30 min
There’s not many things that can top creamy mash with a hint of nutmeg, this recipe from Carina Contini ticks all the right boxes.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20g (12.7g saturated)
- 32.3g (3g sugars)
- 1kg floury potatoes (such as maris piper), roughly but evenly chopped
- 125ml whole milk
- ½ nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp double cream
- Put the potatoes in a large pan with a pinch of salt and pour over cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes until tender.
- Drain and return the potatoes to the pan. Cover the pan with a clean tea towel and put the lid on top – this will absorb the steam and keep the potatoes dry and hot. In a small clean pan, heat the milk, nutmeg, bay leaf and butter until the butter has melted and the mixture is warm.
- Uncover the potatoes, mash, then strain the warm milk mix into the pan. Beat the potatoes with a wooden spoon until fluffy. Beat in the cream for an extra layer of luxury, then serve (or see Make Ahead).
Make the mash up to 48 hours ahead, cover with cling film and chill. To reheat, put in a microwaveable bowl, cover with cling film and cook on medium for 3 minutes or until hot. Stand for 1 minute before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...