Summer-cup bundt drizzle cake
- June 2018
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 3 hours, plus cooling
Celebrate summer in style with Felicity Cloake‘s boozy bundt drizzle cake. She says:
”No birthday picnic is complete for me without a big jug of gently sparkling summer fruit cup, but this dense, buttery cake is boozy enough to be a very acceptable replacement – and robust enough for easy transportation. I like to make my own summer cup from gin, vermouth and orange liqueur, but if you prefer, you can use Pimm’s instead.”
- 35.7g (14.2g saturated)
- 42.6g (36g sugars)
- 280g ground almonds
- 90g plain flour
- 280g butter, softened
- 325g caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp
- 6 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- Grated zest and juice 2 lemons
- 80ml gin, preferably cucumber flavoured
- 80ml red vermouth
- 30ml triple sec
- 2 dashes bitters
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 whole orange, plus juice ½
- 130g icing sugar
- 400g punnet strawberries
- 1 apple
- ¼ cucumber
- 1 small bunch fresh mint
You’ll also need…
- 23cm bundt tin, well greased with butter and chilled
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Mix the ground almonds and flour in a medium mixing bowl with a pinch of salt, then set aside. Beat the butter in a stand mixer, or in a mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, until it has the consistency of mayonnaise from a jar. Add the 325g sugar and beat on a medium speed for about 5 minutes until very light and fluffy, periodically scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat the eggs into the butter and sugar mixture, one third at a time, letting the batter just come together before the next addition. Don’t worry if it splits with the last addition.
- Turn down the speed and add the almonds/flour, one third at a time, until combined – but don’t over-mix.
- Put the lemon zest into a jug and add 50ml gin, 50ml vermouth, 20ml triple sec and a dash of bitters. Put a large spoonful of the cake batter in a small bowl, beat in the lemon zest cocktail, then fold into the rest of the batter with a large metal spoon.
- Sprinkle the 1 tbsp caster sugar into the greased bundt tin, turning to coat the inside completely. Gently spoon in the batter, then bake for 1 hour until golden and a skewer pushed into the deepest part of the cake comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a plate.
- Whisk the agave syrup with the remaining alcohol and bitters, and the juice of the 2 lemons, then pour two thirds of the mixture over the warm cake. When the cake has cooled, mix the orange juice with the icing sugar and drizzle over.
- Roughly chop the strawberries, peel and cut the orange into discs, slice the apple and peel the cucumber into ribbons (see Make Ahead). Put into a plastic tub with the remaining alcoholic syrup and a handful of chopped mint (reserve a few sprigs to garnish). At the picnic, top the cake with the fruit and the reserved mint.
Bake the cake the day before your picnic, drizzle with syrup and orange icing and store in a cool airtight box/tin. The fruit should really be chopped just before setting off for your picnic – despite the lemon-alcohol syrup, the apple still might discolour slightly.
Rate & review