Sweetcorn crab chowder
- August 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 50 mins
This crab chowder recipe is fresh summer recipe perfect for the weekend.
- 26.5g (13.9g saturated)
- 50.4g (11.4g sugars)
- Large knob of butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 small celery sticks, diced
- 3 medium-thick slices smoked bacon, rind removed and diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 4 sweetcorn cobs
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml dry white wine
- 284ml pot single cream
- 450ml milk
- 200g fresh white crab meat (see our how-to video below)
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Melt the butter in a wide saucepan over a low heat, add the onion, celery and bacon and fry for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the potatoes and stir to prevent them from sticking. Remove the leaves and fine hairs from the corn cobs. slice down the length of each cob with a sharp knife, to remove the kernels. Mix into the potatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, cook for a minute, then stir in the wine, cream and milk. Boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potato is soft.
- While the soup is cooking, gently pick through the crab meat, removing any small pieces of shell. Once the potatoes are cooked, stir the crab meat and parsley into the soup and remove from the heat. add the lemon juice, to taste, and season to taste. serve with crusty bread, if you like.
If using white fish instead of crab meat, you will need about 350g filleted fish – poach briefly in water, then skin, flake and add to the soup.
Rate & review