Teriyaki aubergine with rice
- July 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 30 min
This summery dish of teriyaki aubergine is easy on the pocket, and a satisfying vegetarian meal. The lime and chilli bring it to life.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 7.9g (1.5g saturated)
- 74.5g (18.7g sugars)
- 1½ tbsp light olive oil
- 4 medium aubergines, halved, the cut sides lightly scored in a criss-cross pattern using the tip of a sharp knife
- 250g long grain rice, rinsed in cold water
- 200g fresh or frozen peas
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded (see tips) and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, bruised and chopped
- 90ml teriyaki sauce
- 1½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- Grated zest and juice 1½ limes, the remaining ½ cut into wedges
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Small bunch fresh coriander, leaves chopped
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Heat the oil in a roasting tin that will fit the aubergines snugly. Add the aubergine halves, scored-side down, and roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the pack instructions, adding the peas for the last 3-4 minutes of the cooking time. Mix the chillies, garlic, teriyaki, sesame oil and 2 tbsp cold water in a small jug.
- Turn down the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Turn the aubergines over, pour over the teriyaki sauce mixture and roast for a further 15 minutes (see tips). Remove from the oven, then mix the lime zest and juice into the sauce in the tin. Spoon the cooked rice into the tin around the aubergines to soak up the sauce. Scatter with the spring onions and serve with the coriander and lime wedges.
If you like your food spicy, don’t remove the seeds from the chilli(es). If the sauce starts to catch in the roasting tin in step 3, add a little water to thin it. The extra steam will help to tenderise the aubergines, too.
Rate & review