The ultimate egg and chips
- April 2006
- Serves 2
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 35 minutes in the oven
One of life’s simplest pleasures, this easy egg and chips recipe is always appreciated. Serve it for dinner or as a comforting lunch.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.4g (5.7g saturated)
- 51.6g (1.8g sugars)
- 600g maris piper potatoes
- 3 tbsp goose fat or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cut the potatoes into medium-thick chips. Drop into boiling water, bring back to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well, and spread out to cool and dry fully (this is vital!).
- Heat the fat in a large, deep baking tray for 10 minutes. Add a chip – if it fizzes, your fat is hot enough; if not, heat for another 5 minutes. Add the chips in a single layer and give them all a good basting. Cook for 35 minutes, until really golden. Lift from the fat with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Fry the eggs to your liking. To be really indulgent, you can fry them in goose fat too. Serve with the chips.
Rate & review