- October 2018
- Makes 8
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus setting
You can eat these sweet treats straight-up or, for the ultimate dessert, add them to the top of our toffee apple sticky toffee pudding.
- 5.9g (3.4g saturated)
- 80.5g (80.5g sugars)
- 8 red eating apples
- 500g caster sugar
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- Red gel food colouring (optional)
You’ll also need…
- 8 thick wooden skewers (or clean twigs, as in the photograph); baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper; sugar or digital probe thermometer
- Push a skewer (or clean twig) into the centre of each apple. Put the sugar, vinegar, butter, syrup and 150ml cold water in a heavy-based pan set over a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Turn the heat to medium-high and boil until the mixture turns a deep golden colour (or until a sugar thermometer or digital probe reaches 140°C). Take the pan off the heat.
- Using a fork, quickly swirl in some of the red food colouring, if using. Dip the apples into the toffee, turning to coat fully. Transfer to the prepared baking tray, then set aside for at least 30 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...