Toffee apple cake
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 20 mins, oven time 1 hour
Part pudding and part cake, this toffee apple creation is always best served warm with a generous dollop of the toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream.
Recipe taken from Apple: Recipes from the Orchard by James Rich.
Learn how to make classic toffee apples.
For the cake
- 175 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150 g caster (superfine) sugar
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 100 g ground almonds
- 50 g sultanas (golden raisins)
- 200 g crisp eating (dessert) apples, such as Granny Smith or Chivers Delight, peeled, cored and sliced
For the toffee sauce
- 200 ml double (heavy) cream
- 50 g butter
- 175 g light muscovado sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden (light corn) syrup
- 1 tablespoon black treacle (molasses)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat a fan oven to 160°C (320°F/gas 4) and grease the base of a 23 cm (9 in) round springform cake pan with butter and line with baking parchment. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until pale and smooth. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, ginger and baking powder.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs to the butter mixture a little at a time, mixing well in between and introducing a tablespoon of the flour as you go. Once all the flour has been added, pour in the ground almonds and sultanas and mix until combined.
- Add three-quarters of the apples to the mixture and stir in with a wooden spoon before spooning the cake mixture into the prepared pan. Arrange the final pieces of apple on the top of the cake in a circular pattern. Bake in the oven for 1 hour until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove the springform ring and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- To make the toffee sauce, put the cream in a saucepan over a low heat to warm. Add the butter and sugar and stir until dissolved and smooth. Then add the syrup and treacle and stir until melted. Serve the cake with the hot toffee sauce and a hefty dollop of vanilla ice cream.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter