- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 750g ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large mild red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 250ml white wine vinegar
- 300g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce (nam pla) or soy sauce
- Put the cumin and coriander seeds in a small frying pan and toast over a low heat for 1 minute, then crush in a pestle and mortar.
- Put the tomatoes and onions in a wide pan with the garlic, chillies and ginger. Add the spices, vinegar and sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer until reduced to a jam-like consistency. Add the fish sauce and cook for 2 more minutes before spooning into sterilised jars (see tips).
- Seal the jars while hot, then allow to cool completely before labelling and storing. Tastes fantastic with cheese and home-made biscuits.
- To sterilise jars, wash in hot soapy water, rinse, then dry in an oven heated to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2. Or run through a dishwasher on its hottest setting.