Tomato and sweet chilli jam
- October 2008
- Makes approximately 3-4 250g jars
- Ready in about 45 minutes
Use that glut of cherry tomatoes to make this sweet yet spicy jam recipe. It goes beautifully with cheese and home-made biscuits and makes a great edible gift too.
- 0.2g (trace saturated)
- 7g (6.5g sugars)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 750g ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large mild red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 250ml white wine vinegar
- 300g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce (nam pla) or soy sauce
- Put the cumin and coriander seeds in a small frying pan and toast over a low heat for 1 minute, then crush in a pestle and mortar.
- Put the tomatoes and onions in a wide pan with the garlic, chillies and ginger. Add the spices, vinegar and sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer until reduced to a jam-like consistency. Add the fish sauce and cook for 2 more minutes before spooning into sterilised jars (see tips).
- Seal the jars while hot, then allow to cool completely before labelling and storing. Tastes fantastic with cheese and home-made biscuits.
To sterilise jars, wash in hot soapy water, rinse, then dry in an oven heated to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2. Or run through a dishwasher on its hottest setting.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter