- 800g forced rhubarb, roughly chopped
- 200g caster sugar
- 200ml cider vinegar
- 40g grated fresh ginger
- 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways, seeds scraped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp cloves
You’ll also need…
- 2 x 250ml jars, sterilised
- Put all the ingredients in a preserving pan or large heavy-based pan. Bring to the boil, then cook over a medium heat for 1½ hours until the rhubarb has broken down and the mixture turns thick and jammy. Leave in the pan to cool for 10 minutes, then divide equally between the sterilised jars. Seal and label.
- The chutney will keep in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months in a sealed sterilised jar.
- To sterilise jars, heat the oven to 150°C/130°C/gas 2. Wash the jars in hot soapy water and rinse well, then put in the hot oven for 5 minutes to steam dry before filling with the chutney.