- October 2011
- Serves 4-5
- 30 minutes
This simple tomato sauce recipe takes 30 minutes to make and can be used as a base for so many dishes. This version has a splash of red wine in it, although you could use water or stock instead.
We’ve also got an easy pizza sauce recipe to try.
- 2.5g (0.3g saturated)
- 7.6g (6.1g sugar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 75ml red wine (or water or stock)
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the garlic and onion for 5 minutes until soft, then stir in the oregano. Add the tomatoes and red wine, then season well. If you don’t have wine to hand, you can use the same amount of water or stock instead. This will work just as well, although the red wine gives a richer colour and flavour to the sauce.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally. Season to taste and serve with pasta for a quick midweek supper.
Divide the cooled, finished sauce into freezer bags or containers and freeze for up to 6 months.
Rate & review