Tomato-baked eggs with soured cream
- September 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 45 minutes
Baked eggs are easy to make and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. This vegetarian recipe uses mainly storecupboard ingredients making it a cheap way to feed the whole family.
We’ve got plenty more baked egg recipes, take a look here.
- 12.6g (2.6g saturated)
- 5.6g (4.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin whole cherry tomatoes
- Splash of sherry vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- Finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley and soured cream to serve
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and spices, then fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Stir in all the tomatoes, the vinegar and sugar. Season. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is thick. If it gets too thick, add a splash of water.
- Make 4 hollows in the tomato sauce. Crack an egg into each, then use a fork to stir the white into the sauce a little. Cover with a lid and cook gently for 4-6 minutes until the whites are just set. Serve scattered with parsley and dollops of soured cream.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter