Tomato, olive and mozzarella rice
- October 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 30 min, plus resting
A cross between a paella and risotto, this tomato and mozzarella rice is a blend of cultures and a great recipe for popping in the oven and – while you wait –putting your feet up.
For an Indian take on this recipe, try our fluffy tomato rice made with homemade masala sauce.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.4g (6.4g saturated)
- 52.7g (5.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 225g paella rice (such as calasparra or bomba)
- 185ml dry white wine (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 400g vegetable stock, plus extra if needed (we like Knorr)
- 2 heaped tsp fresh oregano or fresh thyme leaves
- 1-2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 175g pitted kalamata olives
- 125g mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 3 handfuls rocket
- Squeeze lemon juice to serve
- Heat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/ gas 4. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based flameproof casserole over a low-medium heat and cook the onions, covered, for about 10 minutes until soft but not coloured, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and the rice, stir to coat the grains, then add the wine, if using. Bubble for 3 minutes until reduced and there is no smell of alcohol. Add the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and stock, then bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the oregano/thyme, paprika and half the olives, then taste and season. Put the lid back on the casserole, then bake for 20 minutes until the rice is just tender.
- Take off the heat and add a little more stock if it looks dry. Scatter over the mozzarella and drizzle with a little oil. Bake for 10 minutes more, uncovered, until the cheese has melted and started to brown. Take it out, rest for 10 minutes, then serve topped with the rocket, remaining olives, a little more olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Recipe from The Part-Time Vegetarian by Nicola Graimes (RRP £20; Nourish Books)
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fluffy tomato rice
Kaushy Patel’s quick and easy rice recipe is made with cumin seeds, chopped tomatoes, turmeric...