Tomato, red onion and crème fraîche tart
- October 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 45 minutes to make, about 1 hour to bake, plus chilling and cooling
A wonderful tomato and red onion tart recipe for all occasions – a posh dinner, supper for friends, easy lunch or a quick snack.
- 52.2g (29.1g saturated)
- 60.7g (18.9g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 3 large red onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- 200ml tub crème fraîche
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 500g baby plum tomatoes
For the shortcrust pastry
- 200g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- Pinch of salt
- 100g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- A little beaten egg, for brushing
- Make the shortcrust pastry (see separate pastry recipe).
- Roll out the pastry thinly on a lightly floured surface and use to line a fluted, round 23 x 4cm deep loose-bottomed tart tin. Trim off the excess pastry and prick the base with a fork. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Line the pastry case with baking paper, baking beans or rice. Bake blind (see our how-to video below) for 10 minutes, remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until golden. Brush the base with a little beaten egg and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tart filling. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring halfway, until softened. Uncover, increase the heat and stir in the garlic, sugar and chopped rosemary. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Season to taste, cool slightly, then spread evenly onto the pastry case base.
- Mix together the crème fraîche and egg yolk, season, then pour over the onions. Halve 125g tomatoes and pile into the pastry case, along with the whole ones. Drizzle with a little extra oil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until turning golden and softly set.
- Cool in the tin for 30 minutes. Carefully remove, cut into wedges and serve with a mixed salad and crusty bread.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...