Tomato sauce for pizza
- October 2011
- Makes 400g sauce
- Takes 5-10 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
Making your own pizzas? Then this tomato sauce, from chef Francesco Mazzei, makes the ideal tomato sauce to spoon onto your pizza base.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 3.1g (0.4g saturated)
- 8.6g (6.4g sugar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 400g fresh or canned plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a gentle heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook very gently for about 10 minutes until soft – don’t let them brown. Add the remaining ingredients and season. Stir, then simmer for 20 minutes until you have a thickish sauce. If using fresh tomatoes, you will need to break them up with a spoon.
- This keeps well in the fridge, in a sterilised screw-top jar, for up to a week.
Rate & review