Tuna and egg puff pie
- July 2005
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 40 minutes, oven time 30 minutes
Tuna and egg puff pie is a great, budget-friendly midweek meal for all the family. Leftovers are perfect for lunch the next day.
- 32g (14.7g saturated)
- 37.5g (1.9g sugars)
- 5 medium eggs
- 40g butter, softened
- 40g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 450ml vegetable stock, hot
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
- 400g can tuna chunks in spring water, drained
- 500g pack chilled puff pastry
- Hard-boil 4 eggs for 7 minutes, then drain and run under cold running water to cool. Peel, then roughly chop. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Using a balloon whisk, gradually add the stock, whisking to get rid of any lumps. Bring to the boil and cook, whisking, for 3-4 minutes, until thick. Tip into a wide bowl to help it cool quickly. Add the parsley, boiled eggs and tuna and season well. Gently mix, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the pastry in half and, on a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece to a large rectangle. Trim each edge, so it measures about 25cm x 23cm. Transfer to a large baking sheet. Beat the remaining egg with a little salt and brush along each pastry edge.
- Roll the remaining pastry out slightly larger than the base and trim the edges again. Spread the filling onto the base, leaving a border. Cover with the pastry lid, sealing and crimping the pastry edges together with a fork.
- Using a sharp knife, make shallow slashes in the top of the pie. Brush with more beaten egg. Bake for 30 minutes, or until piping hot and golden. Slice and divide between plates. Serve with seasonal greens.
For children set a little of the pie filling aside, then heat and serve with mashed potato – this is great in kids’ packed lunches, too.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...