Deep-fried spring rolls
- July 2018
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 40 min, plus cooling
”I learned how to make these when I was a waitress in Hong Kong, at a restaurant called Thai Farmer. We made them every day at 3pm, chatting around a table as we worked.” – Saiphin Moore
This recipe is from Saiphin’s cookbook, Rosa’s Thai Café: The Vegetarian Cookbook.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 22.6g (1.6g saturated)
- 63.4g (10.5g sugars)
- 8-10 spring roll pastry sheets, about 12cm x 12cm each, defrosted if frozen
- 1 large free-range egg white
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
For the filling
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100g dried rice vermicelli, soaked, drained and cut in half
- 100g white cabbage, finely shredded
- 100g carrot, finely shredded
- 10g dried wood ear or white jelly fungus, soaked, drained and sliced (see tips)
- 10g dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked, drained and sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Sweet chilli sauce to serve
- For the filling, heat the vegetable oil in a wok set over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds until golden. Add the remaining filling ingredients and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, moving everything in the wok continuously until the vegetables have softened. Remove from the heat, transfer to a colander or sieve and leave to drain and cool for 15 minutes.
- To make the rolls, divide the filling into 8-10 equal portions. Put a sheet of pastry on a clean work surface with a corner pointing towards you and put
1 portion of the filling on the bottom half. Moisten the top corner with egg white. Fold the bottom corner of the pastry over the filling, ensuring it’s tucked in neatly and tightly. Next, fold the right side of the pastry into the centre, pulling it taut across the filling. Repeat with the left side. Roll up the filling in the pastry away from you to create a log-shaped parcel. The egg white at the top corner will seal it shut. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
- Fill a wok or large heavy-based pan one third full with vegetable oil and set over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough to brown a cube of bread in 40 seconds, put 1 roll on a slotted spoon and lower it carefully into the hot oil. Add 4 more rolls, one at a time, then cook for 5 minutes until golden brown, turning them halfway through. Remove the rolls and drain on kitchen paper while you cook the next batch. Serve with sweet chilli sauce
To make this vegan use water instead of egg white to seal the rolls (step 2).
If you can’t find spring roll pastry cut filo pastry to size.
Find dried wood ear and white jelly fungus in Asian supermarkets and online from souschef.co.uk. Or you can use extra dried shiitake mushrooms.
Rate & review