Turkey, leek and blue cheese mashed potato pie
- January 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 1 hour to cook
This turkey, leek and blue cheese mashed potato pie is a great recipe to use up leftovers from Christmas lunch.
- 30.1g (18.2g saturated)
- 25.2g (3g sugars)
- 70g pancetta or smoked bacon, sliced
- 25g butter, plus extra to dot
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g leftover roast turkey (use leg and breast meat), torn into pieces
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 150ml leftover turkey stock
- 175g blue cheese, such as Castello Creamy Blue or Stilton, crumbled
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 800g cold leftover mashed potato (or 900g floury potatoes, peeled and simmered until really tender, then mashed with 4-5 tbsp cream, a good knob of butter and lots of seasoning)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Fry the pancetta or bacon in a dry frying pan until crisp, then remove to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. Add the butter to the pan and, when foaming, add the onion and leeks. Soften over a low heat for 15 minutes, then stir through the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add to the pancetta/bacon and set aside to cool.
- Stir the turkey through the cooled onion, leek and pancetta/bacon mixture along with the flour, crème fraîche and stock, 150g of the blue cheese and the chopped rosemary. Season with a good grinding of black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Spoon into a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish, then top with mashed potato, using a fork to create peaks. Dot with butter and the rest of the cheese. Bake for 40 minutes until the top is golden and the centre is piping hot. Serve with steamed greens.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Parmesan turkey with roast tomato and basil potatoes
We’ve used turkey breast steaks in this Italian recipe to keep the calories and cooking...