Ultimate Christmas leftover sandwich
- December 2017
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 30-35 min
Sighing at what’s leftover from your Christmas feasting? This quick recipe makes ingenious use of the ends of the cheeseboard, odd nuggets of stuffing and even the last spoonfuls of gravy.
- 61.5g (29.2g saturated)
- 56.8g (12.2g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 4 smoked streaky bacon rashers
- 80g leftover stuffing
- 50g butter, softened
- 4 thick slices white bread
- 4 tbsp leftover gravy
- 4 slices leftover turkey
- 100g leftover cheese, such as cheddar or gruyère
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion for 10-15 minutes until browned. Add the cranberry sauce and fry for a few minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a frying pan over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes until golden and crisp. Set the bacon aside on kitchen paper, then add the stuffing to the pan. Fry for 3 minutes or until starting to crisp.
- Butter one side of each bread slice. Put 2 slices, buttered-side down, on a work surface and top each one with 1 tbsp gravy, then layer each with half the onion, bacon, turkey, stuffing, cheese and remaining gravy. Sandwich with the non-buttered side of the remaining 2 bread slices.
- Heat the grill to high. Melt the rest of the butter in a pan on a medium heat and fry both sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden, then put under the grill for 5 minutes more until the cheese is oozing.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...