- December 2013
- Makes 20 squares
- Hands-on time 20 mins, 25 mins to cook
Sometimes it’s lovely to make your own Christmas presents. Why not give our easy vanilla fudge recipe a go? It takes less than an hour to make 20 squares – perfect for a homemade Christmas gift.
- 30.4g (30.4g sugars)
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g soft light brown sugar
- 100ml whole milk
- 397g can condensed milk
- 100g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put all the ingredients except the vanilla extract into a pan over a low heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, then bubble steadily, stirring constantly, until thick and caramel coloured (118°C on a digital thermometer or the ‘soft ball stage’ – see tips).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract, then beat with an electric hand mixer for a few minutes until it lightens and starts to thicken. Working swiftly, pour the mixture into a greased and lined tray (about 28cm x 18cm) and leave to cool.
- Before the fudge sets fully, score the top into squares with a knife, then cut when cold. The fudge will keep in an airtight tin for up to 3 weeks.
Don’t have a digital thermometer? You’ll know the fudge has reached the ‘soft ball stage’ when a small bit of the mixture forms a soft, squidgy ball when dropped into a glass of cold water.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Muscovado sugar fudge
Make homemade fudge, with muscovado sugar, and give as a gift or enjoy as a...