Warm cauliflower salad
- July 2006
- Serves 2
- Ready in 25 minutes
This warm Sicilian-style cauliflower salad recipe is made with raisins, pine nuts and saffron. Serve with grilled fish or meat.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 52.4g (6.3g saturated)
- 29.6g (26.6g sugar)
- 1 medium cauliflower, leaves discarded, broken into small florets
- Generous pinch of saffron
- 75ml olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 50g pine nuts
- 50g raisins
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to dress
- Small handful chopped fresh mint
- Small handful chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Heat a saucepan filled with a generous amount of salted water and, when it comes to a rolling boil, pop in the cauliflower and saffron. Cook for just 2-3 minutes, so that the cauliflower picks up a little colour from the saffron but stays very much al dente. Drain well and spread on a tray to cool quickly.
- Meanwhile, put the oil in a frying pan over a high heat. When it’s just starting to show wisps of smoke, add the onion. Fry briskly for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to look crispy and caramelised. Add the pine nuts and raisins. Stir and cook for just a couple of minutes (the raisins will swell and the pine nuts should colour a little). Tip into a sieve to drain off the excess oil and transfer to a large bowl.
- To serve, toss the cauliflower with the onions, nuts and raisins and season to taste. Drizzle generously with extra-virgin olive oil and scatter with the herbs. Some people like to serve this with shavings of a sheep’s cheese (Pecorino is perfect).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy warm roast cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa salad
Make the most of winter vegetables in this warming cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa recipe....