Spicy chicken, chickpea and fennel salad
- May 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 minutes, cooking time 15 minutes
For a cheap weeknight dinner that’s easy to make, try this quick chicken salad made with fresh fennel, leftover chicken, chickpeas and harissa.
- 17.5g (2.6g saturated)
- 21.9g (3g sugars)
- 250g leftover roast chicken
- 1 fennel bulb
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp rose harissa
- Shred the roast chicken into a bowl. Using a mandoline if you’ve got one, finely slice the fennel (reserving any fronds), then toss in a separate bowl with half the lemon juice and half the oil. Season, then toss with the chicken.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then gently fry the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan with the harissa and a splash of hot water, then cook until the chickpeas are warmed through. Transfer the mix to a bowl and season with sea salt, pepper and the remaining lemon juice. Toss with the chicken and fennel. Finely chop any fennel fronds and stir them in to serve.
Save the carcass from the roast chicken to make stock. Freeze the stock for up to 3 months or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
Next time, in a medium pan, fry the fennel, onion and garlic with a little oil. Add the chickpeas, harissa and plenty of stock, then bring to the boil. Simmer to reduce slightly, then stir through the shredded chicken and some fresh herbs, if you have them.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Midweek meal recipes
Poached eggs with harissa chickpeas and garlic yogurt
Adding a touch of harissa to this chickpea recipe transforms this simple meal into a...
Chickpea, tomato and red pepper salad, avocado dressing
This chickpea, tomato and red pepper salad can be served as a simple lunch, a...